Like Mountain Biking AND Camping? Well, Bikepacking is for you! If you’re keen to give it a try, but don’t have all “the gear”, or not sure where to start, join Ross and Huw for a cheeky local overnighter.
We’ll be riding the Dry Diggings trail from Castlemaine to Central Springs (just before Vaughan Springs) and then camping the night before returning the same way back to Castlemaine.
All riders will need to be self-sufficient for the 24 hours, but there will be a “Portage Service” to take your camping gear to and from the campsite if you don’t have the gear/capacity to carry it with you on your bike.
When – 11:30am (for 12pm Departure) Saturday 28th October to 12pm Sunday 29th October.
Where – Depart from, and return to, the carpark at the Western Oval, Hargreaves St, Castlemaine.
Skill/Fitness Required – Intermediate Skill and Fitness required as we’ll be riding technical (read rocky/hilly terrain), but we’ll have plenty of time and be riding “Party Pace” (slowly) so you don’t need to be quick, and there will be a sweep.
What to bring:
1. Mountain Bike (inc. multi tool, spare tube and pump)
2. Snacks and water for a 20km MTB ride (each way, 40km total)
3. Clothing appropriate for the conditions (inc. potentially low overnight temperatures)
4. Small Tent, Sleeping Bag and Sleeping Mat
5. Dinner, Breakfast and whatever you need to prepare it
What the ride organisers will provide:
1. The vibe!
2. A portage service to take any of your camping gear that you can’t carry on your bike (please note: capacity is limited, so no 6 person tents, camp chairs, Primus 2 burner stoves etc!)
3. Fresh water at the campsite to refill bottles/make meals.
4. A shovel for toilet duties – please note, there is no toilet at the campsite.
Check out this list on Bikepacking.com for a prompt on what to bring. As we’re only going for one night (and nearby) you won’t need everything on the list by any stretch, but it’s a good place to start (and to make sure you’re not forgetting anything essential!)
In order for us to manage riders to ride leader ratios please register through the AusCycling events portal.
Please note: AusCycling membership is REQUIRED to cover you for insurance. AusCycling has 4 week free trial memberships and monthly lifestyle memberships as options. Anyone coming to social rides without active membership will have to sign up on the day to one of the AusCycling membership options described above (or full membership) https://rockyriders.com/membership/